I know that sheer, leopard print maxi dress with a sweetheart bustier is calling your name, but before you run to the other side of the store you need to consider a few important factors. What will it go with, do you have the right accessories to pull it off, and is this something you will buy and wear one time? Honestly, trendy pieces are fabulous and make you feel like a princess, but only a couple of times. However, if you want to feel sexy, put-together, and a step ahead of the fashion game then you need classic pieces. When you start out with quality basics you can build your style personality from there. Accordingly, if you don’t feel like you have a sturdy foundation, you will need to acquire these next few items:
- Lingerie: Matching sets in black, white, and nude. Make sure they are sexy, silky, and lacey. Additionally, choose bras that are convertible, push-up, and look smooth under t-shirts! You want to be able to wear these yummy undergarments under any kind of top, skirt, or dress while always feeling secretly spicy underneath.
- Dark Denim Jeans: Now, don’t just walk in to any old place and slap a pair on. Dark is better because it is booty slimming, and little to no pockets also enhances the look of a high, tight tush! Pick a pair with a little spandex-y give so the jeans hug your curves, while also having the ability to be washed and dried without shrinking too much. Brands like Citizens of Humanity and Seven are very comfortable and make the bottom-half look beauteous!
- Top-notch, Tanks, Tees and Camis: Buy in bulk and in delicious, noticeable colors! Of course you will need white and black, but feel free to grab hot pink, red, royal blue, electric green, or whatever suits your skin tone!
- Tailored Blazer: I recommend buying a white and black blazer. White is great for spring and summer while black works the rest of the time. Those colorful tanks and tees you bought earlier match perfectly with your fitted friend!
- Cashmere Sweaters: Let’s talk about luxury! From v-neck to turtleneck cashmere sweaters look great with any pair of jeans or slacks, even a skirt. Like your camis, buy these in any color you like.
- Lightweight Trousers: Ever see that girl with the material bunching up right around her hips, tummy, and tush? That is why I recommend a wool or polyester material with a little spandex for give. Who makes them the best? I have to say, I have fallen in love with the pants from White House Black Market. Check out this lovely boutique, and let the knowledgeable ladies style you while you’re there.
- One Fab Suit: I prefer a suit jacket or pencil skirt, but I know plenty of women that can rock a jacket and pant set too! All white, black, grey- keep it simple and Chiq! Then, pizzazz your look with bold jewelry and some eye-popping lipstick. Now you are ready for any interview, day at the office, client meeting, etc…
- Attractive Activewear: Whether it is a Juicy Couture matching terry zip-up and bottoms or a pair of yoga pants from Hardtail with a colorful cami, sexy activewear is convenient and effortless. Some of my favorite places to shop for a put-together, sporty look include Lululemon, Londo Mondo, and American Apparel. Choose tops and bottoms that match, and mix your sets for fresh outfits!
- LBD: Little black dress. This one is obvious and I shouldn’t have to say it! However, these days I feel like women need more than one kind of little, black, go-to dress: one sexy and clingy and one conservative (think Breakfast at Tiffany’s).
- Things to Add Glamour: Want to vamp up your outfits and make them look just a little bit more expensive (without spending too much extra)? Add a classy clutch, faux diamond earrings, or illustrious black pumps. Little accessory efforts here and there make all the difference between sort-of-nice and va-va-voom!
Remember, it is necessary and smart to spend a little extra money on classic pieces, but I never buy any designer items full price. Nonetheless, quality over quantity is revered. You want your pieces to last you as long as possible, knowing that they will maintain their shape, color, structure, and overall luxurious feel. Good luck on your next trip to the mall my Chiq darlings, and keep these classic pieces in mind on your next shopping extravaganza!